THE MURPHY FAMILY IN THE 20th CENTURY
Joe and Mary Murphy in Winnipeg, early forties
JOSEPH EDWIN MURPHY
Joe Murphy was born on March 5th in Detroit Michigan, the second child of Michael and Annie Murphy who had relocated there soon after their marriage in London, Ontario in June of 1892. He was baptized at Peter and Paul Jesuit church on Jefferson Ave, as shown below in the micro-film record obtained through Diane’s Genealogy of Detroit.
Micro-film record of birth Joseph Edward Murphy at Peter and Paul Jesuit church Detroit
The sponsor Joseph Rudiger is unknown. There are two possibilities for sponsor Margaret Loughlin. Annie’s uncle Thomas Loughlin, her mothers brother had a daughter Margaret the same age as Annie and Thomas’s first cousin also named Thomas Loughlin also had a daughter Margaret born one year before Annie. Depending on which cousin she was closes to, either one of these young ladies could have traveled to Detroit to be present or could just have been named in absentia. It is of interest to note these family relationships, but also that the name means that this Margaret Loughlin age about 31 at this time would have been unmarried at this time.
Joe Murphy was taken to St. Thomas along with his sister Margaret as small children by their mother Annie in 1999 as recorded in the 1901 St Thomas federal census. She appeared to have left her husband Michael who remained in Detroit. Joseph and his sister Margaret grew up together and took their schooling in St. Thomas. There is no indication that their father, Michael ever moved to St. Thomas, Annie declaring in the city directory from 1907 to 1923 that she was the widow of Michael J Murphy.
It is also unknown what contact if any the father, Michael may have had with the family. In February of 1917 an affidavit copy of Joes baptism was obtained from St. Peter and Paul church in Detroit, however this could have been obtained by mail. It is known however that some family contact was maintained, as Michaels brother James attended Annie Murphy’s funeral in St. Thomas in February of 1925. Joe also had in his possession at the time of his death a picture of his father Michael in a supposed Knights of Columbus uniform, as well as a picture of his uncle James.
Also, Joes grandmother Catherine Murphy died in Detroit in April, 1919 and was brought to London for burial. The Author could find no obituary record of the funeral itself which might show attendance of her sons Michael or James or of Annie and daughter Margaret. Joe was teaching in Saskatchewan at the time. His father Michael died in November of the following year,1920, Joe being still in Saskatchewan so it is not known what if any information he may have had at the time of these events. Finally, Annie made a will in 1919, leaving $1.00 to her husband, so she knew Michael was still alive at that time. This entire matter will be dealt with in more detail in the chapter on the Murphys and the search for Michael’s death and burial location.
Joseph appears in the St Thomas City directory living with his mother at 7 Penwarden Street in 1914, 15 and 16 and one final time in 1923 as a teacher. Documents left in the possession of the Author after his death show that he received a Lower School certificate in June 1913 as passing the Dept of Education entrance exams to Normal School. Similarly there is a certificate for Middle School exams for the same entrance in June 1915. Also a certificate of University Junior Matriculation the same year,1915.
There is no record of his attendance or completion of Normal School, however it is certain he attended based on his journal entry of Aug 20, 1931 on an eastern trip he made with a teaching colleague Frank Fox. In this entry he revisits the Normal School and old friends in London where it was located..
Joe Murphy’s reference to Normal School revisit Aug 20, 1931
London “Normal School” built in 1899 – now a Heritage Building
Based on his absence from the City directory after 1916 it is likely that he attended Normal School in London, Ontario for two years, likely graduating in either the summer of 1917 or1918. Sometime after this he went West to find a teaching position in Saskatchewan. The letter below dated 1959 from the Saskatchewan Dept. of Education confirms that he taught school in that Province from 1919 to 1922.
Saskatchewan Dept. Education letter confirming Joe Murphy’s teaching record.
It would thus appear from the above that Joe headed west to Saskatchewan after graduating from Normal School in London. He started off in the Squaw Creek S. D which was near Craik, about 100 kilometres northwest of Regina on today’s Highway No 11. All of these schools would have been one room rural schools, probably grades 1 to 8 operating March to December, closing in the two harshest winter months.
He then spent two months at Nicefield which is near Liebenthal before moving on to Pioneer Grove for the 1921-22 school. The latter is near Eston Saskatchewan. It was during his time in Saskatchewan that his absent father Michael died in November 1920 in Jackson Michigan according to his mother Annie’s obituary in 1925.
The Author was intrigued by the unique names of these schools as well as their locations and undertook some research to find out more about them, as well as in July 2007 to seek out their location and see what was there today as well as what the countryside was like. Included in this search was the one room school Braeside near Antler that mother had taught in around 1930.The first step in this regard in the late winter of 2007 was to do an internet search using Google
This search resulted in the finding of a Saskatchewan gen web site called the One Room School Project. It contained the name and number of some 5000 one room schools which existed in Saskatchewan in the first half of this century. It also provided the specific location of each school in terms of section, township and range in the Dominion Land Survey System that was used in Western Canada, along with the name of the nearest town or village as is noted above. It also advised that the DLS System had specifically set aside sections 11 and 29 of each 36 section(square miles) of each township/range for the specific use for schools in Saskatchewan.
Subsequent research showed that most of the schools were in fact located on section 11, although some were on 29 and some also on another section number based on local suitability and access issues. Prior to setting out on the field search the NTS 1:50000 maps were obtained from a Regina Company, ILS for the areas in question in order to mark the exact location of the schools on a map that contained the detail of section, townships and ranges and which could be used for navigation in the field. Local websites were also visited on-line and local libraries contacted by email to obtain additional information or further detail and confirmations.
Our field search was very interesting both in terms of the communities visited and the nature of the landscape and what was found. The only disappointment was with Squaw Creek where no marker or evidence of the school could be located. That school was located about 15 miles southwest of the community of Craik which bills itself as the friendliest town by a Dam Site because of its proximity to Gardiner Dam built in the sixties on the South Saskatchewan River.The community seemed to be surviving well and was probably even more prosperous in 1919 when Dad first went there.
The school location would literally have been in the middle of nowhere, even more so in 1919, Fifteen miles from any organized civilization at Craik or possibly Aylesbury about the same distance east. There were however probably other one room schools on adjacent townships as well as community churches and halls. It is facinating to wonder about what the life of a 22 year old single male school teacher would have been like in those days . Far from his home in St. Thomas, Ontario, boarding with a local farm family, seemingly little in common with his pupil’s parents, walking to school and back each day, no electricity, probably just coal-oil lamps to prepare lessons at night with. It is a tribute to dads interest in and ambitions in being a teacher that he would start out this way and stick with it for three years in as many locations. It is too bad that he never kept a journal or diary of his experiences, nor ever share his memories later in life that the Author can recollect.
Around 1985 the Craik History Book Association researched and published a 1000 page book entitled “Craik friendliest town by a dam site” containing a history of the town and surrounding rural area. It included descriptions, stories and information on all schools in the area including Squaw Creek #3223. Below is an excerpt from the book listing some of the teachers including a J. Murphy, our dad.
Squaw Creek school showing J Murphy as a teacher
Eston was found to be a thriving community with modern housing and a statue of a gopher which is their symbol today. Driving south 8 miles then west another 4 took one through gently rolling landscapes with brown and green fields on each side of the gravel road with an essentially treeless horizon except for clumps around farmhouses probably planted with trees from P F R A’s treefarm. The section line road going east was graded but level with the surrounding farm land and in due course a marker as shown below was found showing the location of the former Pioneer Grove school.
In researching the Nicefield school near Liebenthal, whis just a little northwest of Swift Current, the One room school website gave only a township range location with no section provided. While it was not a problem to locate sections 11 and 29 on the related NTS map, there was no guarantee as to where the actual school was located. There was no library in Liebenthal, which was probably never bigger than a hamlet and today seems even less viable. Contact was made instead by email with libraries in Burtstall to the west and Leader to the north for help. The part time librarian in Burstall provided the name of a man George Wist a resident of Leader who knew where the school was and a phone call to him prior to our departure got the exact location, 2 miles south and 3/4 mile west of Liebenthal. The landscape on the way to the school was similar to around Eston, essentially treeless with a stark beauty of its own. The school was easily located marked by a sign shown below.
Markers at Pioneer Grove and Nicefield one room schools
In the fall of 1922 he is thought to have moved to Manitoba to teach at Deleau, just west of Souris on Highway No2. As teachers would do Joe Murphy kept a scrap book and in that book the Author found a little item dated July 7, 1927 in Joes handwriting, that he was going to Winnipeg to enter Medical College having taught in Deleau the past five years.
News item on Joe Murphy’s departure from Deleau
Working backward from the summer of 1927, five years would make 1922-23 as his first teaching season at Deleau. This ties in perfectly with his last year at Pioneer Grove in Saskatchewan. Other documents in the Authors possession include a certificate from the Manitoba Dept. of Education of Entrance to Normal School. On the back there are marks for all Grade twelve Manitoba exams which he appears to have written in 1923 and 1924 based on notations on them. These were probably written at summer school sessions in 1922, 23 or 24. The certificate is dated Sept 1924. When his mother Annie died in February, 1925 it is recorded in her obituary that he traveled to the funeral in St. Thomas from Deleau, Manitoba.
Today Deleau no longer exists, marked only by a sign and a park/campground just off Highway #2 a few kilometres past its junction with #21.
There was little inter-provincial recognition of qualifications in those days so in some ways the above is not surprising. There is no hard evidence that he went to Normal School in Manitoba, but again this could have been done in the summers. Finally there is the contradiction of his appearance in the St. Thomas city directory in 1923 as a teacher. This is the only entry in this directory where his profession is shown which means that he must have gone gone home to St. Thomas from Saskatchewan in either the fall of 1922 or Spring of 1923 depending on when these directory surveys were done.
It is not known how long he was at the Medical College in Winnipeg, but it could not have been very long in that according to the Authors brother Ted he was back teaching at Deleau for the 1927-28 year. Shortly thereafter on July 18th 1928 he married a young lady from the local farming area Vida Jackson. Her parents Tom and Adeline Jackson started farming in the area around the years 1905-08 at a location one mile north of the junction of todays Highways No. 2 and 21, about five or six miles east of Deleau. Vida was the second oldest of four Jackson daughters, two of which Vera and Vida, Joe had taught at Deleau school.
Joe Murphy and Vida Jackson wedding picture Spring 1938
After their marriage Joe and Vida moved to a small house in the village of Woodnorth, east of Deleau and just south of Virden where they rented a house (see picture below) and where he taught school during the 1928-29 year. In January of 1929 Vida gave birth to a boy who was named Cecil Edmund.(Ted) Tragically Vida died the following month as a result of complications associated with the birth. She is buried in Souris-Glenwood cemetery.
What is left of Woodnorth today is located just north of Provincial Road 255 about 12 kilometres west of its junction with Highway 83. A highway sign marks the turnoff naming the community. However during a July 2007 visit it proved difficult to find, there being no sign to mark the road north After exploring several in the vicinity and after crossing a railroad track on one of them, a road going east was noticed paralelling the track and leading to what looked like a farm and a collection of building and trees. This in fact the remnants of Woodnorth today. An old church, a few buildings and another old building which could have once been a school. In front of it was a Cairn which appears to be dedicated to the school which is pictured on it. See photo below.
Cairn marking Woodnorth School
Joe Murphy continued to teach south east of the area at Lauder for many more years. During those early years Ted was cared for and raised by his grandparents Tom and Adeline Jackson on their farm with Joe contributing on weekends, and holidays when he could be present.
Vida Murphy’s grave at Souris-Glenwood Cemetery
During the next ten years or so Joe continued to teach at Lauder and advance his teaching and educational qualifications. He had obtained his Professional teachers certificate in 1926, obtaining a First Class Certificate in 1931 and a Principals Certificate for two room schools in 1934. In 1934 he received a Collegiate Certificate and in 1936 his Bachelor of Arts degree from the University of Manitoba. In 1940 he received his Bachelor of Education Degree and much later in 1948 his Principals Certificate for Secondary schools. It is understood that much of this was earned through summer school attendance at either the University of Manitoba or Brandon over many years.
Today Lauder still exists as evidenced during a July 2007 visit by the Author and his wife Jackie. It is located about one half a kilometre south off Provincial Road 345, the turnoff marked with a sign about halfway between Highways 21 and 83. It appears to still have residents, although very tiny, there is one block and an old church ,a number of buildings or houses.
Ted Murphy’s recollections are that his father Joe had an Essex car, a 1926 or 28 model during the period of the late twenties and early thirties while he was teaching at Deleau, Woodnorth and Lauder. This car was made by the Hudson Motor Company and its manufacture was discontinued after 1931.
Joe and Vida’s house in Woodnorth. Vera Jackson at gate, Vida at left The Essex and Vida Photos 1928
JOE AND FRANKS TRIP OF A LIFETIME
In the summer of 1931 Joe undertook a lengthy car trip with a teaching colleague Frank Fox, a former Protestant Minister, during which he kept a daily journal. His journal does not say what kind or whose car the trip was made in. It was initially thought that it was probably Joe’s Essex, but a more thorough reading of the journal found the following quote on the July 30th entry” This morning we take our Ford on a tour of inspection. We circle the State Bldg. about ten times before we get away from it” They were in the city of Boston.
Starting at Winnipeg they headed south through North Dakota, Minnesota and Wisconsin through Ohio and Pennsylvania visiting Boston and New York. The went up the Empire State building which history records was just completed that year as well as visiting The Statue of Liberty. In Boston they visited historical sites associated with the American Revolution and two of Frank’s aunts, before traveling on to St John and Moncton in New Brunswick. They went to Truro Nova Scotia which was Frank Foxes home, visiting with his family then on to Halifax and Antigonish. They crossed the Canso Straits to Cape Breton visiting Sydney, Glace Bay and the old fortress of Louisbourg where they camped for the night.. The latter struck the author as amazing , having made a similar trip in 2000. The Fortress was not restored by Parks Canada until about the 1970’s so it is interesting to speculate how much was there in1931!
They then returned to central Canada via Moncton, Riviere de Loup, Quebec City and Montreal visiting most major sites in these locations. Then on to Toronto, London and St Thomas. They crossed the St Clair River by ferry to Port Huron from Sarnia, through Michigan to the Mackinac Straits, crossing again by ferry before continuing on through Michigan, Wisconsin, to Superior then Deluth, finally again back at Winnipeg. In those days there was no bridge at either Sarnia or the Mackinac Straits nor any road through northwestern Ontario. There were many flat tires, narrow tortuous gravel roads and similar hardships and adventures colorfully described in the journal. The trip took from July 15th to August 24th. A excerpt from the journal of Joe’s New York experience appears below. The entire journal is some fifty-one pages long and contains fascinating insights and observations on what they saw and encountered and how they camped, ate and entertained themselves, as well as Joe’s views on many things. The entire journal may be read on the Authors website at donjmurphy.ca
Entries from Joe Murphy’s journal on experiencing New York in 1931
During this trip he passed through Ohio just south of Jackson Michigan on the way east and probably directly through Flint Michigan on the return trip. While he made stops in Cleveland to pick up a letter from his sister, in Toronto to visit his sister, London to visit old Normal School friends and St Thomas to visit his mothers grave, no mention is made of his father regarding Jackson or Flint, likely meaning that he had either no knowledge or interest in where his father was buried.
Joe and Mary
As noted earlier Joe continued to teach in the area around Souris and raise his son Ted with the help of his Jackson grandparents until the summer of 1936 when he is thought to have accepted a teaching position at St James Collegiate in Winnipeg. Ted Murphy recalls his grandparents taking him to Winnipeg to visit his dad living on Maryland Street near Portage one time and another living on Spence. Strangely Joes obituary written by his wife Mary says he taught at St. James for nine years so it is seems quite likely that he also taught somewhere else while there. Two and one-half years later on December 28th 1938 in Winnipeg he married Mary Deverell, a girl from Souris that we know from her autograph book that he had met as early as 1927 and who was now teaching near Winnipeg at Grande Pointe. A description of the wedding appears below.
Joe and Mary Murphy with twin boys. About June 1940
No picture of Joe and Mary’s wedding has ever been found. The Catholic wedding is known to have taken place at St. Mary’s in Winnipeg with the reception dinner at the home of her Aunt Mae and uncle Bob on Lenore Street.On January the 9th, 1940 twin boys were born to the couple at Misericordia Hospital. Donald and John are pictured above in a photograph that is thought to have been taken about June of 1940. The couple were living in the Rothesay Apartments initially, but moved in 1940 to a house purchased at 234 Burrin Avenue in West Kildonan. In the summer of 1939 Joe’s son Ted had come toWinnipeg to live with the family, which grew to four on December 29th, 1942 when a daughter Dorothy was born.
Joe taught school at St. James and the family lived on Burrin Avenue until the summer of 1948 when Joe and Mary accepted an offer from Rossburn, a village of about 500 in mid northwestern Manitoba to be the Principal and for Mary to return to teaching. The family with the exception of Ted moved for the 1948 teaching year and for the next nine years Joe was the school Principal and full time high school teacher while Mary taught grades I and II This was in effect a return to the smaller town rural roots which they had both grown up in. Meanwhile in 1947 Ted had moved to his grandfather’s Jacksons farm near Souris to work with him with the intention of eventually taking over the farm.
In 1957 Joe and Mary left Rossburn to move thirty miles further west to the Town of Russell, a little larger at about 1000 people. Again he was School Principal and teacher while Mary taught grade three or four. In 1961 Joe and Mary made one final move together as teachers to the small village of Oak River where they taught for one year.
At the end of the 1962 teaching year Joe retired after at least 43 years of teaching and they moved to Winnipeg where Mary continued teaching for a few more years. Joe continued to work part time for several years marking High School examinations for the Department of Education.
After a few years Joe and May moved to an Apartment near Assiniboine Ave and Edmonton Street near downtown Winnipeg handy to the Dept.of Education and St. Mary’s Cathedral. Joe died suddenly on Dec 31, 1973 and after a funeral mass at St. Mary’s was buried in the Souris-Glenwood cemetery.
MURPHY FAMILY DESCENDENTS
The objective of the Authors research and this book is to chronicle the lives of the ancestors of Joseph Murphy and Mary Deverell. Ted Murphy undertook similar research on the ancestors of Vida Jackson , Joes first wife. It is contained in a History of the Whitefield and Breezelawn community area published in the late 1980’s and is available from Ted or at the Souris Public Library.
The descendents of Joe and Mary and Vida are provided here in brief summary for the record. It is left to others to write their family histories
Ted, John, Dorothy and Don at her wedding December,1963
Ted Murphy married Louise Joyal in Souris Manitoba in April, 1950. The couple had six children starting with Jane born in November of 1950. A son Patrick followed in June of 1952, then Susan in June 1954 and another son Tim in April 1957.. Later two more sons followed, Christopher was born in Sept. 1965 and Sean in November 1966.
Dorothy Murphy married Brian Finlay in Winnipeg in December 1963. They had one child a son Darryl born in February, 1965.
John Murphy married Velda Safronetz in July of 1966 in Roblin Manitoba. The couple had two sons, Glen born in May,1969 and Stewart born January, 1972.
Don Murphy married Jacqueline Cewick in Winnipeg in August, 1970. They had two children, Stephanie born in August, 1972 and son Bryce born in December of 1975.
MARY HERRIOT DEVERELL
Mary Deverell was born on November 6th 1907 to Ambrose Deverell and Maude Herriot in Souris Manitoba. Her only sibling, a sister born in 1914 died before her first birthday so Mary was raised in Souris as an only child. This was more than offset by the fact that her mother had nine brothers and sisters most of whom married and remained in the Souris area, so she was always surrounded by aunts and uncles and many Herriot and Yantz family cousins
While she would have gone to school in Souris the next record of her life does not appear until she went to Normal School in Brandon in 1926. Fortunately for the Author his mother decided to start an autograph book which was no doubt a custom at the time. This book inherited upon her death in 1992, allows us to follow her career and movements pretty well up to her marriage to Joe Murphy in 1938.
Mary went to Normal School in 1926 and possibly part of 1927. She earned her Professional Second Class Teaching Certificate in June of 1928. There is an indication in her autograph book that she may have taught either a year or partial year prior to receiving this, possibly at Boissvain. It is virtually certain based on another entry below that she then accepted a position at a one room school just across the border near Antler ,Saskatchewan at Braeside school.
Autograph entry regarding Mary’s teaching years in Saskatchewan
The only slightly odd thing about this entry is the date at the top which would indicate a visit to the people she boarded with the year after she finished teaching there. It was standard fare for one room school teachers to board with a local family, this usually being part of the arrangement and dad would have done the same thing with his three years in one room schools in Sakatchewan.
Braeside School about 1930. Photo by Mary Deverell
The Author visited Antler in July of 2007 as well as the former site of the Braeside School. Antler still survives as a hamlet size community with an elevator and seems like a viable place although not growing and without a school. Braeside was located 5 miles north and 1 west of the town, its location marked by a pyramidal cairn and plaque on the edge of the road allowance and beside a field of grain. See below.
Braeside School cairn-1903 to 1952
Mary’s three years at Braeside must have been 1928-29 to 1930-31 because in 1931 she moved to Botany School immediately south and adjacent to Souris. She describes her experience in an entry she wrote for the Botany School History in 1983.
Entry written by Mary in 1983 for the Botany School History Book
Botany School 1931-32. Photo by Mary Deverell
In the summer of 1932 Mary took a trip presumably by railroad to Toronto to visit with her grandparents William and Sarah Deverell as well as at least one of their other children, her father Ambrose’s sister, her Aunt Ella.(McGarvey) This is evidenced by several entries in her autograph book dated July 31 and August 10th, 1932.
Autograph greeting from Aunt Ella Aug 10, 1932 Toronto
During this trip Mary visited with several of Ella’s children, Margaret, Marie and Jack who were her first cousins and about her same age, late teens or early twenties. There is a separate entry for each cousin in her book. A further interesting factor regarding her visit with her Aunt Ella McGarvey is that some seventy years later, while searching for Deverell descendents the Author would connect up with Ella’s granddaughter Denise McGarvey who would be a key to learning about the rest of the Deverells as well as the Devlins in Ontario. This aspect is described in full detail in Chapters VII and VIII of this history.
According to a year by year record page of teachers in the Botany history Mary taught there only one year then accepting a position at Grande Pointe on the south side of Winnipeg. According to her autograph book she appears to have taught there for several years and perhaps a year at St. Norbert which was probably in the same school district. She would have continued to teach in this area through her marriage year 1938-39 which would have been her last year teaching before the birth of her twin boys.
Mary Deverell’s marriage to Joe Murphy on December 28th,1938 is described above along with the birth of her twin boys Donald and John in January, 1940 and daughter Dorothy in December, 1942. Below is a picture of Mary and her step son Ted who came to live with them in Winnipeg in 1939. Beside it is a picture of the house at 234 Burrin Avenue in West Kildonan that Joe and May purchased in 1940, as it appeared around 1940.
Ted and Mary Murphy 1939/40 234 Burrin Ave.
In 1948 as Dorothy was ready to go to school and Donald and John had made their First Communion at nearby St. Anthony’s, Mary and Joe decided to move back to rural life in Manitoba. Joe accepted the position of Principal at Rossburn, a village of about 500 in mid-north western Manitoba southwest of the western edge of Riding Mountain National Park. Mary returned to full time teaching at Rossburn, teaching grades I and II for the next nine years. During the first year in Rossburn they rented a duplex, but by year two were able to buy a two story house near the west end of town near the Catholic church, but at the opposite end of town than the school which was about a half mile walk.
They quickly made friends with the priest Father Cieply who was a padre in the Polish underground during World War II, coming to Canada after its conclusion, and soon Donald and John became alter boys. Mary took an active part in the community, curling and as a member of the Women’s Institute. A few years after arriving they boarded the new single vice principal Harry Middlemass for a couple of years and hired a young lady Lucy to help out with housekeeping and meals during one school year. The writer recollects them socializing with the Stitts, he was the Postmaster, the Langredges, he was the manager of the Royal Bank ant the Duncansons, he was the local Co-op manager.
Murphy house in Rossburn Teacherage in Russell Photos July, 2007
In the summer of 1957 Mary and Joe said goodbye to Rossburn and moved 30 miles further west to the town of Russell, about 1000 people, where Joe again became Principal of the Russell Collegiate including a four room high school and eight rooms I to VIII. Here he had somewhat fewer teaching duties and Mary taught grade III or IV. A teacherage was provided immediately adjacent to the school so living accommodation was not a problem. In 1961 they moved one final time within rural Manitoba to Oak River where they taught for one year after which Joe retired and they moved to Winnipeg.
They rented a Fourplex at the corner of Watt and Monroe in East Kildonan and Mary accepted a position at St Alphonse Catholic school for three years, then retiring as well. After retiring Mary and Joe did some traveling including a trip to France and his beloved Ireland. By 1965 they had moved to an apartment on Edmonton Street near Assiniboine Ave and remained there until Joe’s death in late 1973. Mary then moved to a senior citizens apartment on Spence Street. She remained active in the Apartments social committee, at St. Mary’s church and with another Catholic group, the Stafford Club that met at St Ignatious church hall. She also reconnected with an old childhood friend from Souris, Edith Thompson with whom she socialized and traveled.
After Don was married in 1970 and moved to a house in Fort Richmond with his wife Jackie , Mary would visit regularly on weekends staying overnight and getting to know her grand daughter Stephanie and later Bryce. In later years when Don had moved to St. Albert and with John in Edmonton, Mary would visit in the summer spending time with each family. She would also visit Ethel Langridge and her Maid of Honor, Simone who were both now living in Edmonton. Mary died on October 24th 1992 and after a funeral mass at St . Mary’s was buried with her husband Joe at Souris-Glenwood cemetery.
Headstone marking Joe and Mary Murphy grave Souris-Glenwood Cemetery